Your tablet, smartphone or MP3 has a home button that pops right up when you first use your device. Over time and use, like an old mattress, the home button loses its springiness and durability, getting loosened or, at worst, sticky or corroded. These not-so-subtle aftereffects of frequent usage are detrimental to conveniently using your device!
Given its major responsibility to exit from apps or switch your device to sleep mode, the home button is critical to the functionality of your unit. So what are the best ways to prolong its lifespan without a need for a home button replacement? Here are a few ideas:
- Keep the home button away from moisture, sand and dust.
- Activate Assistive Touch on iOS devices (under Settings).
- Prevent your device from impact damage (don’t drop it!). Or get a case to protect the whole unit…and the home button in the process!
- For 5S users, activate the touch ID sensor.
- Use a home button cover (there are unique and effective ones out there in the market geared to specifically protect and secure the home button).
Investing in the protection of your device’s home button may be one of the the most important protective measures to sustain the longevity and usability of your device!